Thursday, September 15, 2011

It´s a Girl!

Today was my fourth day in the San Jose Clinic. I have been a little disappointed thus yet because there is nothing for me to do. The other volunteers and I sit around waiting for something, anything to do, even if it´s rolling bandages. I told my parents about this on Tuesday and my mom said that she would pray that I would have something to do. I swear that woman has this secret phone to Heavenly Father that he immediately answers, because today was quite exciting. Not only did we have lots of transporting of patients and calls to attend to, but there were two appointments today in the surgery room. Another volunteer and I went down to the room to ask if we could sit in as soon as we found out. The nurse said that we´d have to ask the doctor when he arrived. She also told us that one surgery was a cesarean section and the other was a histerectomy. I have never seen a birth and for those of you who don´t know, I want to be an Obstetrician Gynecologist. So to say the least I was ecstatic. I waited and prayed that the doctor would say yes. After an hour, he arrived and told us only one of us could go in each of the surgeries. We looked at each other and both knew that we wanted to see the birth. After two rounds of an intense game of rock-paper-scissors and lots of praying on my part, I won and got to go in! I scrubed up and waited. I sat there thinking, what if this is not what I think it will be? What if this is a mistake? What if I all of a sudden get queezy from all the blood? What if all my dreams come crashing down because I hate it? In the middle of my panic, a nurse told me that I could come on in. She put me in a place so I could see everything. In the U.S., I definitely could not have been that close. They started right away and used some instruments I´ve never seen before. I won´t go into all the details to spare the readers who get queezy. I was a little nervous because all of a sudden there was so much blood, but then the doctor pulled out the baby. She was so beautiful. I almost cried with the baby right there on the spot. I couldn´t help but think that this little person was just with our Heavenly Father. For that moment alone, it was all worth it. All of it. Sitting around waiting, rolling bandages, four flights, it was all worth it. It was so much more beautiful and spiritual than I thought it would be. It was the greatest thing I have ever seen.

1 comment:

  1. Becca, what a neat experience! Thank you so much for sharing that, I am so excited for you! Miss you and love you :)

    ReplyDelete