For those of you who know me very well, you know that I don´t get queezy easily. Dead things and smells I can handle. The meat section of the mecardo, I cannot. Last Friday as part of my lesson, Viviana took me to the mercado. The only way I can describe it is it´s like a giant farmer´s market. I absolutely love farmer´s markets, and now I absolutely love mercados. Correction: I absolutely love mercados except the meat section. They have everything, and I mean everything. You wanna buy the kidney of a pig? Don´t worry if they don´t have it at Ralphs, you can just come down here and buy it. I was walking down the meat aisle and there were pigs just hanging of the side of tables, and I don´t mean a cute little Wilbur pig, I mean GIANT pigs. Their intestines were just hanging from hooks. It smelled so bad. One hundred times worse than the anatomy lab. All of this, I could have handled, if it had not been for the picture in my mind of people actually eating it. That´s when I got queezy. I took several long strides and found myself in the land of ginormous fruit and bread. The bread was in huge circles twice the size of my head and the papayas were the size of a football. They had every kind of souvenir you could imagine, so put in your orders now! Llamitas, Alpaca sweaters, scarves, hats with llamas on them, and all sorts of incan stuff. On Sunday, I went to church for the first time here. The ward is pretty big and everyone was so welcoming. I met a bunch of young single adults and there is an activity next Saturday with the institute. After church, Ivan´s family had a big get together for a late lunch. There were so many relatives, it was like my family. There must have been thirty people. It was a blast! There was so much laughter and fun, I love the Peruanos. I met a girl that was with one of the relatives, doing a study abroad program with twenty other college kids. She was from Pennsylvania and we got to talking for a long time. I´m sure we´ll be good friends. Love you all! I´m excited to spend another week in my favorite place.

I was walking by the San Francisco Cathedral when I heard music. This is what I found, a festival for no apparent reason. So Peruvian.
I really just loved this guys expression.
I´ve put up a picture of this cathedral before, but it´s do much better with Viva El Peru in the back.
On Saturday, Anabel (my host hermanita) showed me the famous twelve-sided stone. Can you count the sides?
The incans built the beautiful stone walls, and then the Spaniards had to go and ruin it with cement on top.
Football papayas
Poor Wilbur.
The juice section of the mercado
Astrid (mi hermanita) and I. I just love this little girl.
No comments:
Post a Comment