Wednesday, September 7, 2011

We say ¿Porque?, Peruanos say ¿Porque No?

My clothes were getting smelly and unfortunatley my family does all their wash by hand. I decided to pass on that cultural experience and took them to a lavanderia right next to Centro Tinku. At 3:30 I left to go back into town to pick them up and oh what a surprise I found. They had just started a parade in La Plaza del Armas. I couldn´t help myself, I had to see it. I ended up staying there for an hour listening to the music and looking at the colorful costumes. It was not a holiday. No one important had come into town. They just decided to have a huge parade for no rhyme or reason. Americans would say Why? Why shut down the main streets and stores for a parade celebrating nothing? Peruanos would say Why not? Why not shut down the main streets and stores for a parade? We´re celebrating LIFE and HERITAGE! Those are the important things. I just love it. They teach me something new everyday. Take the time. Shut down your busy life. Enjoy the important things.


The parade wrapped around the entire plaza and the street after.

I had to take a picture of this. All of a suddent this woman, in a pantsuit, decided to join the parade. She must have learned the dance previously, because she was as good as the rest of them. How many of us would join a parade because we felt like it?

2 comments:

  1. What a great experience! I would have joined the parade of course, I never miss a great adventure or parade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! You are so right - none of us would have had a parade without a reason, and especially none of us would have joined the dance for no apparent reason. I can see why you love these people.

    I didn't realize I could comment until now. I really enjoyed your last pictures - especially the one of poor Wilbur.

    I miss you honey. I found a movie I wanted to watch but my Chick-flick movie buddy is gone. I'm counting down the months until you get here. I love you! Mom

    ReplyDelete