Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Sittin on the Steps of Cusco

Today, I found my spot.You know how you find those spots every once in a while and you just know that you´re going to come back everyday because it´s perfect for you. It´s a place where all good and deep thinking comes to pass. Well, luck came upon me today and I found one, on the steps of el centro. It´s a very touristy area, but I can´t help it, it just fits me. My steps face a plaza with a large fountain in the center and are surrounded by massive cathedrals. I could sit and read and write all day there, but unfortunately today I had to get back to the house so Milagros, my host mom, could feed me massive amounts of food. It´s like she thinks I have never eaten before. I feel bad because I never can finish my food and everyone else practically licks their plates clean. I love my host family. I wish you could all meet them. They like to call me by my full name, Rebecca Elizabeth, or sometimes just Elizabeth, which I have to admit, I kind of like. Last night they taught me a new card game and I got slaughtered. I don´t think I have ever done that bad at cards. I´ll make a comeback tonight. It surprises me sometimes how much people watch t.v. down here. It´s always on whenever I come into the room. They watch some american shows, like CSI, with spanish subtitles, which I like because I actually can understand what´s going on. My program is going really well. My head still hurts trying to communicate with people, but it will come out of nowhere. I know it. I took the taxi-van today by myself, which I have to admit was a little scary, because I had to remember where to go. It was fine though, they were very helpful.

#1 Rule in Cusco for safety:    cars don´t stop.... ever 

Other than that, I feel very safe. It surprised me a little because everyone warned me to be so so careful, which I am (mom), but it´s not scary at all. Everyone is too nice.


This is Centro Tinku, where I study everyday. They have a beautiful golden retriever there named Curi (gold in Queche), she´s my favorite thing about Centro Tinku.


The Church of San Francisco, just one block from Centro Tinku. 


 This is what the streets of central cusco look like. They are very steep and I find myself huffing and puffing like I´m 100 pounds heavier because of the altitude (11,000 ft!!!)


Told you there were stray dogs everywhere.

The fountain in el centro and the city. There´s another church, they´re everywhere. You can barely make it out, but there´s a huge cross at the top of that hill.

Technically, this is the only cathedral in cusco, the rest are all just churches. (just churches, ha!)

My favorite church in cusco, conveniently located ten steps away from the cathedral.

More of el centro. I had to put this one in for Mom. Aren´t those flowers gorgeous?

My steps. It´s right in front of the cathedral.

3 comments:

  1. Can't wait to read more of your thoughts as the experiences add up, Elizabeth. Enjoy it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becca my love, I'm so jealous it looks so pretty but it would look even more beautiful if there were pictures of YOU!!! Xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete